Sunday, March 16, 2008

Last Breath

From those around
I hear a cry
a muffled sob
a hopeless sigh
I hear their footsteps leaving slow
and then I know my soul must fly!

A chily wind begins to blow
within my soul from head to toe
and then, last breath, escapes my lips
it's time to leave and I must go!

So it's true but it's too late
they said: each soul has it's given date
when it must leave its body's core
and meet with its eternal fate

Oh mark the words that I do say
who knows tommorow could be your day
at last it comes to heaven or to hell
decide which now do not delay!
come on my brothers let us pray
decide which now do not delay

Oh God! oh God! I can not see
my eyes are blind, am I still me?
or has my soul been led astray?
and forced to pay a priceless fee?

Alas to dust we are return
some shall rejoice while others burn
if only I knew that before
the line grew short and came my turn

And now, as beneath the sod
they lay me with my record flawed
they cry not knowing, I cry worse
for they go home,
I face my God!

No comments: